Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: doll hair salon?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member AGStefanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    anyone ever get their dolls hair re-done at AG Place (specifically NY but Chicago i wanna hear about too). i want my molly's hair rebraided. i hate taking out any of my dolls hair (AGTs i do stuff to but only because its down. molly, kirsten, i like to keep as is, i just change ribbons) i am afraid to take it out and do it again myself.

    how much does it cost at AG Place?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jamtoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2005
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, I've been to the hair salon in NY and Chicago. The cost for a basic hairstyle (like Josefina's single braid or Kirsten's double braids) is $20. Some styles are less, and some are more, but the basic "put it back like it was" styles are all around $20 I'm pretty sure. Make sure you talk to them about anything in particular you want done. The NY person didn't get Josefina's hair smooth from the crown, and it was only after I'd visited the Chicago hair salon that I was able to get that fixed. You need to stay with them when they're doing your doll's hair, just to make sure they do it right. I'm not trying to sound like a control freak, but if you're paying $20 or more dollars to have your doll's hair done, you want it done as perfectly as possible [img]wink.gif[/img] !

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jrtmom3274's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2004
    Posts
    800
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    From what I observed in Chicago, I think they are really rough with the doll's hair. The main problem I see with the salon is that they don't wash or steam. Brushing rough and dirty hair is really hard on it and can cause breakage. If I was going to pay someone to do my doll's hair, I would pay Angie, Ann or other board member I trusted to do the hair.
    It's actually very easy to do the hair yourself. If the braids have never been taken out and just need smoothing, it would be even easier. Get some clips to hold each section of the braid; that way, you maintain the same sections. Do one braid at a time. Be sure to use a spray mister and keep the hair damp and brushed smooth.
    I just rebraided Amanda's Molly, and it turned out to be much easier than I expected. I've always worried about my Molly's braids, but now I am less concerned about something happening to them-- although I won't take them out on purpose.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MollyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2005
    Posts
    945
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I do the dolls hair at home and it works out fine. You just need to look at the braid before you take it down and see which chuck of hair they start the braid with first. If the dolls hair is dry don't brush it until it has gotten the downy dunk and then washed and rinsed well and air dried. I also add a shine produce on the dry hair. The dry hair just ****s it up. You can find many kinds of shine produce at vons or longs or safeway.


    AandSMom ,Your picture is just adorable. I love the Josefina outfit with the vest and hat. Your girls are as cute as can be with there matching outfits with the dolls. You must be so very proud.

    [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I brought atleast two or three dolls to AGPC to get their hair done while we were visiting for school break. From what I see, if you are watching them do your dolls hair they aren't rough, but if you happen to be looking around while the hair is being done, they will be rough.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member AGStefanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks guys!

    i guess i will just go ahead and try to do it myself. im nervous!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member tatabatata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2005
    Posts
    595
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by jrtmom3274:
    [QB]From what I observed in Chicago, I think they are really rough with the doll's hair. QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Amen!

    They are ruthless!!! The way they pull at the hair makes me cringe!

    I only brought DDs dolls twice, and only because she pestered me once we were in the store (she wanted the club stars, I guess)

    I do not think is is worth the $$ and the bad pulls that your doll will get.
    Be brave! Let the braids out, get the hair wet (you may want to just mist it, or you can go ahead and soak it, as look as you protect the eyes)
    Once the hair is nice and damp, start brushing from the bottom up. Divide the hair as necessary and keep the "unused" part in a clip so it does not bother you. Pick up the part to be braided and braid tight. Tie at the bottom with a plastic rubber band. You can get the silicone transparent ones at the pharmacy for a couple dollars to a box of a million.
    If you need to do the bangs, the best "brush" is a tooth brush.

    Good luck! And feel free to ask should you have any more questions. There is a whole bunch of hairdresser wanna bees in here!

    Ana [img]graemlins/present.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree. When I've seen them they were very rough when they were first brushing out the hair. Instead of gently taking a small section at a time, and working through it gradually from the bottom to the top, they seemed to start at the top from the beginning and forcefully brush the whole length of the hair at one time.
    Joy

  9. #9
    emmaashley2
    Guest emmaashley2's Avatar

    Unhappy

    Oh that's Terrible I would hate for my girls to go through torture like that. they cost $20 per style and they pull out all of the hair like that.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member momof3kce's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2005
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have to agree with everyone about them being rough. While at AGPNY, I noticed the stylist misting a doll's face then using a toothbrush on the bangs and then cutting off little stray hairs. This whole time the doll's face, including her eyes, were getting rather wet from the "misting" She wasn't even blocking the eyes from the water. I felt bad for that poor dolly. Her owner, probably 8 or 9, was watching the stylist with this big, happy smile. I know she really loved her doll. I hope she doesn't develop rust. After seeing this, I wouldn't pay for them to do our dolls hair.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •